The Baptists' first meeting room in Sutton was in Carshalton Road, around 1862.
This was used as their chapel until a large church was built in 1883 exactly where Waterstone's Bookshop on the High Street is today.
This building was demolished in 1934 and, until a new church was built to replace it, Sutton Public Hall was hired for worship.
The new Baptist Church in Cheam Road was designed by the architect Nugent Cachemaille-Day (1896-1976) mainly using traditional materials, such as brick and tile, in a style influenced by the Arts and Crafts Movement. The church only took a little over six months to build, commencing in January 1934, and opening in September the same year, and its design caused a sensation not only locally, but in church and architectural circles nationwide.
Sutton Baptist Church is one of the best examples of a contemporary brick building in the Borough. The bold design has imposing proportions with long walls and concave sweeps in the 'moderne' style, which became popular in Europe in the 1920s and 1930s. The sole decorative features on the plain red brick facade are panels of roof tiles laid end-on. The windows are also in simple clean lines, in a simplified Gothic style.
The interior is equally dramatic, with much exposed brickwork and pure lime plaster as the only decoration. The sweeping pointed arches are highlighted by the directions in which the bricks are laid, and its clean simplicity is in tune with the ideals of the Arts and Crafts Movement as well as the later modern architectural movements where form follows function.
Before building commenced, the Church Meeting resolved: "That the total overall cost of the enterprise should not exceed the amount secured by the sale of the existing site and buildings." This in fact was accomplished, as the final balance in hand at the end of the building project was £30 19s 7d.